Soto - Sumatran Soup
Soto is a traditional Sumatran noodle soup very similar to a Laksa with coconut milk and spices, usually served with Ayam (chicken). Soto in Indonesian means soup so there are many different types.
1kg Chicken - thigh or breast
2 tablespoons Ginger
4 cloves of garlic
2 small red chillies
1 teaspoon Turmeric
1 teaspoon Salt
2 teaspoons Coriander
2 teaspoons Palm sugar
1/4 teaspoon Pepper
1/2 litre of chicken stock
1 can of coconut cream
3 cups of water
1.5 tablespoons lemon juice
How to prepare
Dice the chicken into small bit sized pieces
Heat some vegetable oil in a wok. Add the chicken pieces and cook until it is just turning white. Remove chicken from the wok.
Heat some more oil and add garlic, onion, chillies and ginger and cook until the onion is soft.
Add a stalk of lemon grass, galangal, tumeric, salt, coriander, sugar, pepper.
Add the chicken pieces then cover with the chicken stock, coconut cream water.
Bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer the soup with the lid on for 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through
Last updated - 19th March 2009
Sumatra Indonesia Travel Guide
English - Indonesian translator/dictionary
© 2009 Sumatra Travel
Other Travel sites: * Indonesia
* Bali * Kuta * Seminyak * Sanur * Nusa Dua * Nusa Lembongan * Lovina * Pulau Menjangan * Ubud
* Java * Jakarta * Jogjakarta * Semarang * Surabaya * Bandung * Malang * Bogor * Cirebon * Solo
* Kalimantan * Banjarmasin * Palangkaraya * Pangkalanbun * Pontianak * Balikpapan * Samarinda
* Sulawesi * Manado * Makassar * Palu * Kendari
* Gili Islands * Lombok * Flores * Komodo * Maluku
* West Papua * West Timor
* Malaysia * Kuala Lumpur * Ipoh * Penang * Melaka * Mersing * Johor Bahru * Kota Kinabalu * Langkawi Island
* Kuching * Tioman lsland * Redang Island * Perhentian Islands * Pangkor Island * Sibu Island * Sipadan Island
Australia * Sydney Travel Guide * Sydney Restaurant Guide * Sydney Luxury Hotels * Sydney Budget Hotels
* Sydney Tours * Parramatta Travel Guide * Parramatta Hotel Guide * Parramatta Restaurant Guide