Sibolga - Sumatra
Highlights - Gateway to Nias Island and some of the best surfing in the world
Cities and towns in Sumatra
Sibolga is on the West Coast of Sumatra, the administrative centre for Central Tapanuli. The main ferry gateway to Nias Island. The ferry to Nias is the main reason people come to Sibolga as it doesn't have a lot offer of interest. The best thing about Sibolga is it's great selection of seafood.
It has some lovely beaches and good snorkeling over coral reefs and various smaller islands just off the coast. There are 2 main beaches, Pantai Pandan 11km north of the town centre and Pantai Kalangan. At Pantai Pandan there are so good seafood restaurants. There is an entry fee to gain access to Pantai Kalangan of 250Rp.
There is a golf course just 12km from the town centre.
Bus services to Sibolga are limited. The main Trans-Sumatran Highway bypass Sibolga but buses can be taken from Parapat, Bukittinggi, Padang and Medan. It takes around 10 hours to get to Sibolga from Bukittinggi. From Parapat at Lake Toba to Sibolga will take around 5 hours.
From Taratung, south of Lake Toba to Sibolga, 66km, you will pass 1200 hairpin turns with great views out to the Tapanuli Bay which contains hundreds of small islands. Just off the coast from Sibolga, past the Tapanuli Bay is Pulau Mursala which is surrounded by clear water and an abundance of sea life.
The ferry from Sibolga to Nias takes from 8 to 13 hours depending on the weather. Ferries leave nightly at 8pm to both Gunung Sitoli and Teluk Dalam.
Pelni Ferries also operates a service from Sibolga to Padang.
Hotels to stay
Poncan Sibolga Marina Jl Yos Suarso No 29 Sibolga
Tel: 0631 328 688 Fax: 0631 328 698
A tropical island retreat with fifty air conditioned beachside bungalows on 62 ha. Has a 24 hour restaurant and can arrange surf, fishing and diving charters.
Hotel Wisata Indah Jl. Brigjen Katamso Ph: (0631) 23688
Hotel Pasar Baru corner of Jl Imam Bonjol and Jl Raja Junjungan Ph: (0631) 22167
Hotel Prima Indah Jl. Brigjen Katamso Ph: (0631) 22797
Last updated 29th March 2009
English - Indonesian translator/dictionary
© 2009 Sumatra Travel
Other Travel sites: * Indonesia
* Bali * Kuta * Seminyak * Sanur * Nusa Dua * Nusa Lembongan * Lovina * Pulau Menjangan * Ubud
* Java * Jakarta * Jogjakarta * Semarang * Surabaya * Bandung * Malang * Bogor * Cirebon * Solo
* Kalimantan * Banjarmasin * Palangkaraya * Pangkalanbun * Pontianak * Balikpapan * Samarinda
* Sulawesi * Manado * Makassar * Palu * Kendari
* Gili Islands * Lombok * Flores * Komodo * Maluku
* West Papua * West Timor
* Malaysia * Kuala Lumpur * Ipoh * Penang * Melaka * Mersing * Johor Bahru * Kota Kinabalu * Langkawi Island
* Kuching * Tioman lsland * Redang Island * Perhentian Islands * Pangkor Island * Sibu Island * Sipadan Island
Australia * Sydney Travel Guide * Sydney Restaurant Guide * Sydney Luxury Hotels * Sydney Budget Hotels
* Sydney Tours * Parramatta Travel Guide * Parramatta Hotel Guide * Parramatta Restaurant Guide
* Brisbane Travel Guide * Brisbane Restaurant Guide * Brisbane Budget Hotels
* Melbourne Travel Guide * Melbourne Restaurant Guide