Simeulue Island - Sumatra
Islands of Sumatra Indonesia
Pulau Simeulue is located 150km off the west cost of
Sumatra, north of the border of Aceh and close to the
and a few hundred kilometers from
Simeulue Island has started to be developed for eco-tourism, including surfing, snorkeling and scuba diving. Unfortunately the majority of Simeulue's rainforest found in the interior of the island has been chopped down and taken over by the lucrative palm oil plantations.
Surfers will find excellent reef breaks at various locations around the island.
How to get to Simeulue Island
There is a small airport on Simuelue Island located at Sinabang. There are 2 airlines that fly from Medan, Merpati Air and Susi Air.
Susi Air have daily flights from Medan to Sinnabang Simeulue. susiair.com
Ferries to Simeulue Island
You can catch a ferry from Meulaboh in Aceh on Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 6pm for a 12 hour trip to Simuelue Island.
Accommodation on Pulua Simuelue
There is not a great deal of accommodation on Pulau Simeulue
Baneng Beach Retreat Prices are US$115 low season and US$140 high season per person per day including accommodation, 3 meals a day, and transport to and from the surf breaks and transfers to Sinabang airport. www.simeulue.com
For more information about Simeulue check out Wikipedia.
Last updated 22nd June 2009
English - Indonesian translator/dictionary
© 2009 Sumatra Travel
Other Travel sites:
Sumatra * Aceh * Batam * Berastagi * Bukit Lawang * Bukittinggi * Lake Maninjau * Lake Toba
* Medan * Padang * Pekanbaru * Pulau Banyak * Pulau Nias * Pulau Weh * Tangkahan
* Bali * Kuta * Seminyak * Sanur * Nusa Dua * Nusa Lembongan * Lovina * Pulau Menjangan * Ubud
* Java * Jakarta * Jogjakarta * Semarang * Surabaya * Bandung * Malang * Bogor * Cirebon * Solo
* Kalimantan * Banjarmasin * Palangkaraya * Pangkalanbun * Pontianak * Balikpapan * Samarinda
* Sulawesi * Manado * Makassar * Palu * Kendari
* Gili Islands * Lombok * Flores * Komodo * Maluku
* West Papua * West Timor
* Malaysia * Kuala Lumpur * Ipoh * Penang * Melaka * Mersing * Johor Bahru * Kota Kinabalu * Langkawi Island
* Kuching * Tioman lsland * Redang Island * Perhentian Islands * Pangkor Island * Sibu Island * Sipadan Island
Australia * Sydney Travel Guide * Sydney Restaurant Guide * Sydney Luxury Hotels * Sydney Budget Hotels
* Sydney Tours * Parramatta Travel Guide * Parramatta Hotel Guide * Parramatta Restaurant Guide