Palembang - Sumatra
Cities and towns in Sumatra
Palembang, the capital of South Sumatra, is the second largest city of Sumatra and 6th largest in Indonesia, with a population of over 1.5 million people. Pelambang has a 1300 year history being established by the ancient Buddhist Srivijayan empire.
The main industries of Palembang are oil refining, fertiliser production and cement manufacture.
There is not alot to do for tourist in Palembang apart from a transport connections either by air or by sea. The Musi River, 600m wide travels past Palembang city.
The Grand Mosque in the centre of Palembang was built in 1740 by Sultan Machmud Badaruddin I.
The Sultan Machmud Badaruddin II Museum is located overlooking the Musi River, at the northern end ot the Ampera Bridge. The bridge was built by the Japanese as a war reparation.
Palembang has an airport - The Sultan Badaruddin II, which is 12km north of the centre of town. Serviced by Air Merpati, Srijawaya and Air Asia flies direct to Palembang from Kuala Lumpur. www.airasia.com.
Boats can be caught from the ferry port - Boom Baru jetty to Pulau Bangka daily at 7.30 and 9.00am. The trips takes about 3.5 hours for around 25,000Rp.
Health Spa's in Palembang
Taman Sari Royal Heritage Spa - www.tamansarispa.com
Palembang Golf Course is an 18 hole, Par 72, 5743 yard public golf course. Located at Jl. A.K.B.P. Cek Agus No. 23 Kenten, Palembang Ph: (0711) 714 620.
Pendopo Golf Course is an 18 hole, Par 71 golf club located at Komp. Pertamina Pendopo Jl. Plaju N° 38, Muara Enim, Palembang Ph: (0713) 390 448.
Perkumpulan Golf Prabumulih (PGP) is an 18 hole, par 70, 5976 yard golf course located at Jl. Teratai 119, Komperta Prabumulih, Palembang. Ph: (0713) 320 112.
Katika Airlines have direct flights from Palembang to Batam and Jambi. www.kartika-airlines.com
Air Asia has direct flights from Palembang to Kuala Lumpur. www.airasia.com
Pelita Air have charter flights between Palembang and Jakarta. They also have helicopters for charter. www.pelita-air.com
Silk Air have direct flights from Palembang to Singapore. www.silkair.com
Palembang is connected with the southern
Sumatran cities by a railway network. There are daily trains running between
Palembang and Lampung.
Hotel Sandjaja, one of the best hotels to stay in Palembang. For contact details, prices and photos click here.
Swarna Dwipa Hotel is a quality business style hotel in the centre of Palembang. Room prices from 399300Rp per night nett (US$35) www.hotelswarnadwipa.com
Horison Hotel. Prices from 600,000Rp++. Located in the heart of Palembang, 25 minutes from the Sultan Badarudding II airport.
The Jayakarta Daira Hotel a 4 star hotel located in the centre of Palembang on Jl Jenderal Sudirman. www.jayakartahotelsresorts.com
Novotel Palembang Hotel & Residence
King's Hotel, Jln Kolonel Atmo no 623 Palembang Palembang SUMATERA +62 (0) 711 310 033
Last updated - 10th August 2009
English - Indonesian translator/dictionary
© 2009 Sumatra Travel
Other Travel sites: * Indonesia
* Bali * Kuta * Seminyak * Sanur * Nusa Dua * Nusa Lembongan * Lovina * Pulau Menjangan * Ubud
* Java * Jakarta * Jogjakarta * Semarang * Surabaya * Bandung * Malang * Bogor * Cirebon * Solo
* Kalimantan * Banjarmasin * Palangkaraya * Pangkalanbun * Pontianak * Balikpapan * Samarinda
* Sulawesi * Manado * Makassar * Palu * Kendari
* Gili Islands * Lombok * Flores * Komodo * Maluku
* West Papua * West Timor
* Malaysia * Kuala Lumpur * Ipoh * Penang * Melaka * Mersing * Johor Bahru * Kota Kinabalu * Langkawi Island
* Kuching * Tioman lsland * Redang Island * Perhentian Islands * Pangkor Island * Sibu Island * Sipadan Island
Australia * Sydney Travel Guide * Sydney Restaurant Guide * Sydney Luxury Hotels * Sydney Budget Hotels
* Sydney Tours * Parramatta Travel Guide * Parramatta Hotel Guide * Parramatta Restaurant Guide
* Brisbane Travel Guide * Brisbane Restaurant Guide * Brisbane Budget Hotels
* Melbourne Travel Guide * Melbourne Restaurant Guide