Lampung - Sumatra
Cities and towns in Sumatra
Lampung is Sumatra's southernmost province and is famous for it's pepper crops. The capital city of this region is called Bandarlampung.
Bakauheni is the major ferry port in the south. Ferries can be caught here across the Sunda Strait to Java arriving in Merak where a bus can be caught to Jakarta. At the closest point, the Sunda Strait is just 30km across from Java to Sumatra.
Ferry trips out to Krakatau Volcano can be arranged in Bandarlampung. The volcano that now exists there is called Anak Krakatau (baby Krakatau now larger than what Krakatau was at the time of it's explosion). There is another volcano on the mainland in Lampung called Gunung Rajabasa (1281m) which is good for climbing.
Also off the coast of Lampung is another
There are a number of spots in the province of Lampung to see wild dolphins. Lampung Bay and Kiluan Bay both offer tourists the opportunity to view and swim with the dolphins. You can see 2 different species of dolphins, the bottle-nose dolphin (Tursiops truncatus) as well as the long-nose dolphin (Stenella longirostris). In other parts of Indonesia you can see dolphins, Tomini Bay North Sulawesi and Lovina Beach Bali.
There are also hot springs located at Wartawan Beach.
Each year Lampung holds the Lampung Kite Festival. It is being held this year, 2009, between the 22nd and 24th of August.
Golf Courses in Lampung
Sukarame Golf Course is an 18 hole golf
course located at
Jl Letkol Hendro Suratmin
How to get to Lampung
Merpati Air has direct flights from Lampung to Jakarta. www.merpati.co.id
Garuda Air has direct flights between Lampung to Jakarta. www.garuda-indonesia.com
Freedom Air also has flights into Lampung.
There are regular car ferries that run from Lampung's Bakauheni Harbour to Merak Habour in Java.
Bandar Lampung is connected to other southern Sumatran cities by a railway system. There is a daily train between Lampung and Palembang.
Andalas Hotel is a budget hotel conveniently located in the centre of Bandar Lampung. Room prices from 150,000Rp (US$13) per night wisatalampung.com
Marcopolo Hotel is a quality hotel with large swimming pool in the centre of Lampung. www.marcopololampung.com
Hotel Andalas (Melati III)
Hotel Sayid Bandar
More information about Bandar Lampung
Last updated - 24th March 2009
English - Indonesian translator/dictionary
© 2009 Sumatra Travel
Other Travel sites: * Indonesia
* Bali * Kuta * Seminyak * Sanur * Nusa Dua * Nusa Lembongan * Lovina * Pulau Menjangan * Ubud
* Java * Jakarta * Jogjakarta * Semarang * Surabaya * Bandung * Malang * Bogor * Cirebon * Solo
* Kalimantan * Banjarmasin * Palangkaraya * Pangkalanbun * Pontianak * Balikpapan * Samarinda
* Sulawesi * Manado * Makassar * Palu * Kendari
* Gili Islands * Lombok * Flores * Komodo * Maluku
* West Papua * West Timor
* Malaysia * Kuala Lumpur * Ipoh * Penang * Melaka * Mersing * Johor Bahru * Kota Kinabalu * Langkawi Island
* Kuching * Tioman lsland * Redang Island * Perhentian Islands * Pangkor Island * Sibu Island * Sipadan Island
Australia * Sydney Travel Guide * Sydney Restaurant Guide * Sydney Luxury Hotels * Sydney Budget Hotels
* Sydney Tours * Parramatta Travel Guide * Parramatta Hotel Guide * Parramatta Restaurant Guide
* Brisbane Travel Guide * Brisbane Restaurant Guide * Brisbane Budget Hotels
* Melbourne Travel Guide * Melbourne Restaurant Guide