Ketambe - Sumatra
Highlights - Gunung Leuser National Park, Orangutan, hotsprings, wildlife
Cities and towns in Sumatra
Ketambe is on the edge of the Gunung Leuser
National Park in Aceh province, North Sumatra. Ketambe is 43km north-west of Kutacane.
At Ketambe there is a rainforest research station but this is off limits to tourists.
As well as jungle trekking one of the highlights close to Ketambe are hot springs that join the Alas river giving a choice of hot water bathing or cooler water in the river. These hot springs are a 2 hour walk from Ketambe.
There is a camp ground half way between Ketambe and the springs if you want to spend the night in the jungle.
There is no orangutan rehabilitation centre here so the Orangutan you see are all wild animals and have not be reintroduced in the jungle like some of the ones you see at Bukit Lawang. As well as the orangutan you have a chance of seeing Thomas Leaf Monkeys and gibbons.
If walking through the jungle it is best to move slowly and quietly. The animals usually hear you before you can see them and they will move off away from your direction to save encountering a human.
If entering the National Park you will need a permit and a guide. These can be arranged at the PHPA office in Tanah Merah about 15 minutes out of Kutacane. This office can supply you information about various treks within the jungle including getting the Gunung Kemiri, Gunung Leuser, Gunung Perkinson and Gunung Simpali.
You can catch a bus from Medan to Kutacane for around 6000Rp. The trip takes close to 6 hours.
Hotels to stay
There are 6 guest stay hotels in Ketambe all with basic accommodation.
The Friendship Guesthouse - http://ketambe.com/index.html
Pondok Wisata Jl Raya Blankejeran km 32 Tel (061) 7867051
Wisma Cinta Alam Jln. Blangkereren
Last updated 20th September 2009
English - Indonesian translator/dictionary
© 2009 Sumatra Travel
Other Travel sites: * Indonesia
* Bali * Kuta * Seminyak * Sanur * Nusa Dua * Nusa Lembongan * Lovina * Pulau Menjangan * Ubud
* Java * Jakarta * Jogjakarta * Semarang * Surabaya * Bandung * Malang * Bogor * Cirebon * Solo
* Kalimantan * Banjarmasin * Palangkaraya * Pangkalanbun * Pontianak * Balikpapan * Samarinda
* Sulawesi * Manado * Makassar * Palu * Kendari
* Gili Islands * Lombok * Flores * Komodo * Maluku
* West Papua * West Timor
* Malaysia * Kuala Lumpur * Ipoh * Penang * Melaka * Mersing * Johor Bahru * Kota Kinabalu * Langkawi Island
* Kuching * Tioman lsland * Redang Island * Perhentian Islands * Pangkor Island * Sibu Island * Sipadan Island
Australia * Sydney Travel Guide * Sydney Restaurant Guide * Sydney Luxury Hotels * Sydney Budget Hotels
* Sydney Tours * Parramatta Travel Guide * Parramatta Hotel Guide * Parramatta Restaurant Guide
* Brisbane Travel Guide * Brisbane Restaurant Guide * Brisbane Budget Hotels
* Melbourne Travel Guide * Melbourne Restaurant Guide