Hot springs - Sumatra
There are many natural hot springs (Air
panas) situated in Sumatra Indonesia, many with public access for
remedial bathing for health properties.
As Sumatra is sitting on a Volcanic ring that run across most of Indnonesia, as well as Volcanoes there are some great hot springs (Air panas in Indonesian) dotted around the island. Here is a list of the Hot Springs of located in Sumatra:
Lake Toba. On the other side of Samosir Island from the main tourist area of Lake Toba there is an excellent example of hot springs which have been captured for therapeutic bathing. These baths are located at the base of this forming volcano as seen in this picture close to Pangururan.
At this location they have captured the hot water into swimming pools for therapeutic bathing. It costs 5000Rp for a one hour bath. They have segregated swimming for men, women and foreigners!
30 minutes from Berastagi there are hot springs located near Raja Bemeh village located at the base of Sibayak Volcano. There are a number of places that have pools for therapeutic bathing. The best of these is Alam Sibayak which has a variety of pools at different temperatures. Price is 5000Rp for a one hour bath. All the pools have a view up to the top of Sibayak volcano.
To get to the hot springs catch any bus from Berastagi going to Medan. Ask to be dropped off at the side road to the hot springs. There are small public buses that travel down this side road to the village underneath Sibayak though they are infrequent. It takes around 40 minute to walk along this road. It is a fairly flat walk so easy to walk with great views and opportunities to take some great photos of Sibayak and the surrounding crop fields.
Kericini Seblat National Park has hot springs located near Mount Kericini.
2 hours walk from Ketambe there are hot springs which flow into the Alas river giving great warm and cold water swimming.
Suban Hot Springs are located 90 kms from Bengkulu, in west Sumatra is the Suban Hot Springs. It takes around two hours drive by car or bus. Suban is good for bathing of the source of natural hot water.
There are also hot springs in South Sumatra close to Banda Lampung. Located on Wartawan beach.
Bali Hot springs
If you are traveling to Bali you can visit different hot springs there including the ones on the north coast at the pleasant town of Lovina.
Last updated - 9th November 2008
English - Indonesian translator/dictionary
© 2009 Sumatra Travel
Other Travel sites: * Indonesia
* Bali * Kuta * Seminyak * Sanur * Nusa Dua * Nusa Lembongan * Lovina * Pulau Menjangan * Ubud
* Java * Jakarta * Jogjakarta * Semarang * Surabaya * Bandung * Malang * Bogor * Cirebon * Solo
* Kalimantan * Banjarmasin * Palangkaraya * Pangkalanbun * Pontianak * Balikpapan * Samarinda
* Sulawesi * Manado * Makassar * Palu * Kendari
* Gili Islands * Lombok * Flores * Komodo * Maluku
* West Papua * West Timor
* Malaysia * Kuala Lumpur * Ipoh * Penang * Melaka * Mersing * Johor Bahru * Kota Kinabalu * Langkawi Island
* Kuching * Tioman lsland * Redang Island * Perhentian Islands * Pangkor Island * Sibu Island * Sipadan Island
Australia * Sydney Travel Guide * Sydney Restaurant Guide * Sydney Luxury Hotels * Sydney Budget Hotels
* Sydney Tours * Parramatta Travel Guide * Parramatta Hotel Guide * Parramatta Restaurant Guide