Pulau Belitung - Sumatra
Highlights: * Accommodation
Islands of Sumatra Indonesia
Belitung Island is located of the east coast of Sumatra close to
few visitors venture to Pulau Belitung, though with development of some new
hotels there is still an opportunity to enjoy the uncrowded white sandy
beaches with crystal clear blue waters..
The capital city of Belitung is Tanjungpandan. There is a museum, built within an old Chinese mansion on Jalan Melati with displays of the tin mining industry which was Belitung and the neighbouring Bangka Island main industry. Today the tin mining is continuing along with the typical palm oil plantations that you see all over Sumatra.
There are a number of nice white sandy beaches on Belitung Island. These include Tanjung Tinggi, Burung Mandi, Tanjung Keliyang, Tanjung Binga, Pantai Punai and Mebalong. Also the the small islands, just off the coast of Belitung, Lengkaus Island and Burung Island have beautiful white sandy beaches and good places for snorkelling.
Belitung Island still has a large Chinese community, as many Chinese moved here in the late 19th century to work in the tin mines. There is a beautiful Chinese Temple near Burung Mandi Beach on the eastern coast of Belitung.
Belitung Island has some great spots for snorkeling and scuba diving though the tourist industry is not yet developed enough to support these activities especially the scuba diving.
Kelayang Beach Cottages are newly renovated cottages overlooking Tanjung Kalayang Beach. Located 30 minutes drive from Belitung's airport. They can arrange a car pick-up from airport or ferry port. Prices start from 100,000Rp for a basic 'backpacker' style cottage, 150,000Rp per night for a cottage with fan and from 250,000Rp per for an air-conditioned cottage. They offer great service and fantastic food in their restaurant. They can also assist you with rental of bicycles, motorbikes, canoes and snorkeling equipment. www.kelayangcottages.com
Pondok Impian Hotel on Jalan Patimura in Tanjung Pandan. Prices are around 350,000Rp per night. Ph: (0719) 22076.
Lorin Hotel and Resort located at Tanjung Tinggi Beach, with swimming pool. Room prices from US$67 per night. www.lor-in.com
How to get to Belitung Island
The airport, located at .
Sriwijaya Air have direct flights between Tanjung Bandan on Belitung Island and Jakarta. www.sriwijayaair-online.com
Linus Air also have direct flights between Tanjung Bandan and Jakarta.
There are regular ferries between Bangka Island and Belitung Island.
For more information and pictures of Belitung Island:
www.belitungisland.com (Bahasa Indonesia and English version)
Last updated 16th June 2009
English - Indonesian translator/dictionary
© 2009 Sumatra Travel
Other Travel sites:
Sumatra * Aceh * Batam * Berastagi * Bukit Lawang * Bukittinggi * Lake Maninjau * Lake Toba
* Medan * Padang * Pekanbaru * Pulau Banyak * Pulau Nias * Pulau Weh * Tangkahan
* Bali * Kuta * Seminyak * Sanur * Nusa Dua * Nusa Lembongan * Lovina * Pulau Menjangan * Ubud
* Java * Jakarta * Jogjakarta * Semarang * Surabaya * Bandung * Malang * Bogor * Cirebon * Solo
* Kalimantan * Banjarmasin * Palangkaraya * Pangkalanbun * Pontianak * Balikpapan * Samarinda
* Sulawesi * Manado * Makassar * Palu * Kendari
* Gili Islands * Lombok * Flores * Komodo * Maluku
* West Papua * West Timor
* Malaysia * Kuala Lumpur * Ipoh * Penang * Melaka * Mersing * Johor Bahru * Kota Kinabalu * Langkawi Island
* Kuching * Tioman lsland * Redang Island * Perhentian Islands * Pangkor Island * Sibu Island * Sipadan Island
Australia * Sydney Travel Guide * Sydney Restaurant Guide * Sydney Luxury Hotels * Sydney Budget Hotels
* Sydney Tours * Parramatta Travel Guide * Parramatta Hotel Guide * Parramatta Restaurant Guide