Beef Randang recipe
Here's a simple recipe for Beef Randang or rendang from Padang, Sumatra Indonesia. Chicken can also be used with this recipe but do not simmer as long.
Directions for cooking:
Grind the garlic, ginger, chopped chilies, galangal and curry powder (mix with a few drops of water before adding the powder) in a mortar, add a drop or 2 of the coconut milk to ensure it is a runny paste.
Add this paste to the hot oil in a wok, fry for 30 seconds and add the beef and slightly fry until the meat is just starting to turn light brown and then add the thick coconut milk, the lemon grass. Bring to the boil and then turn the heat completed down and simmer with the pan covered for 1.5 - 2 hours. The coconut milk will reduce so keep and eye on it and maybe add a touch more coconut milk during this time.
After the 2 hours you can eat this dish as a wet curry or turn the heat up to medium and then reduce the coconut milk completely down and then pan fry the beef.
Last updated 19th March 2009
Sumatra Indonesia Travel Guide
English - Indonesian translator/dictionary
© 2009 Sumatra Travel
Other Travel sites: * Indonesia
* Bali * Kuta * Seminyak * Sanur * Nusa Dua * Nusa Lembongan * Lovina * Pulau Menjangan * Ubud
* Java * Jakarta * Jogjakarta * Semarang * Surabaya * Bandung * Malang * Bogor * Cirebon * Solo
* Kalimantan * Banjarmasin * Palangkaraya * Pangkalanbun * Pontianak * Balikpapan * Samarinda
* Sulawesi * Manado * Makassar * Palu * Kendari
* Gili Islands * Lombok * Flores * Komodo * Maluku
* West Papua * West Timor
* Malaysia * Kuala Lumpur * Ipoh * Penang * Melaka * Mersing * Johor Bahru * Kota Kinabalu * Langkawi Island
* Kuching * Tioman lsland * Redang Island * Perhentian Islands * Pangkor Island * Sibu Island * Sipadan Island
Australia * Sydney Travel Guide * Sydney Restaurant Guide * Sydney Luxury Hotels * Sydney Budget Hotels
* Sydney Tours * Parramatta Travel Guide * Parramatta Hotel Guide * Parramatta Restaurant Guide